Sunday, April 29, 2018

Refactor My Poker League Application

Full Stack Software Development Blog


I play in a poker league. We play a 52 week season. The group has not missed a game in over 12 years (I joined 11 years ago). Presently I have a Java/Spring/MySQL/JQueryMobile application that I wrote in 2014.

Time to blow the dust off the app and refactor to use up-to-date software. I use this as my reference application when interviewing (and I'll be interviewing in later this year).

Will be refactoring from
   Spring 3.x/MySQL/Velocity/JQueryMobile
to
   Spring Boot 2.x/Postgres/Angular

To see the running application visit https://www.texastoc.com
To see the source code visit https://github.com/gpratte/texastoc

The app does thing like:

  • Allows guest to view the site and obfuscates names and dollar amounts
  • Add players to a game
  • Mark players that finish in the top 10 of a game
  • Calculates payouts in a game
  • Randomly seat the players before each game and text players their table/seat
  • Game clock for the rounds and text those who have opted in then a round changes
  • Tracks seasons (games, quarterly seasons, season results, top ten lists)
  • Emails asking for the weekly host
  • Emails asking who will transport the supplies
  • FAQ
  • ...

It is time to refactor to

Spring Boot for the backend
Progressive web app using Angular for the front end
Bootstrap for a nice HTML look and feel
Many new features

No comments:

Post a Comment